WordPress (WP) is an excellent way for people who do not have the knowledge to setup their own websites or don’t really want to learn. Now a days you don’t even need to pay for a domain name or even web hosting. Combine all three and you have an awesome free website of your very own.
The main feature of WP is actually blogging. You have a lot of control and some of the features actually include adding authors and writers to your site so others may write blogs for you to either be pre-approved by you personally or post them immediately.
Once you have a domain name and a hosting site in place, you may want to install WP using the following steps.
The steps in creating a WP site are very simple, WordPress has setup a simple 5 minute installation guide found here.
- Download and unzip the WordPress package, if you haven’t already downdload here
- Create a database for WordPress on your web server, as well as MysSQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it.
- Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php.
- Open wp-config.php in a text editor and fill in your database details as explained in editing wp-config.php to generate and use your secret key password.
- Place the WordPress files in the desired location on your web server:
- If you want to integrate WordPress into the root of your domain (e.g. http://example.com/), move or upload all contents of the unzipped WordPress directory (but excluding the directory itself) into the root directory of your web server.
If you want to have your WordPress installation in its own subdirectory on your web site (e.g.http://example.com/blog/), rename the directory wordpress to the name you’d like the subdirectory to have and move or upload it to your web server. For example if you want the WordPress installation in a subdirectory called “blog”, you should rename the directory called “wordpress” to “blog” and upload it to the root directory of your web server.
At this point you should now have a working WP site of your own and may log into wordpress to edit it’s contents. Another cool feature is the amount of WP themes that are available and many are free. Just search WP or WordPress themes in your favorite search engines and download which ever theme fits your blog the most.